March 22 - The Twelve Apostles & Friends
THE TWELVE APOSTLES & FRIENDS
Remember when you were a kid, and Christmas morning or your birthday came with great anticipation and excitement — and the event met (or even exceeded) your expectations? Piling on years of real life often dulls those expectations of wonder, but every now and then, if you’re really lucky .... Today was one of those lucky times for me. We drove in the warm sun about 80 miles west, stopping at an overlook at Castle Cove, to a series of sea stacks which the sea and wind have carved out of the limestone which all have names. The most famous is a collection originally called the Sow and Piglets, but more recently known as the 12 Apostles, and the pictures I had seen of them were enchanting. Keith had identified a walk along part of the Great Ocean Walk about 5.5 km east of the Apostles to be dropped off and walk from there. I chose a spot about 4 km away (and not as steep from the looks of things). It was a nice walk along a gravelish track with a few hills, of course, and when I topped the hill and got my first glimpse of the first big Apostle (Simon Peter?) standing majestically a few metres out in the sea, it was literally breathtaking! I’m not discounting that climbing the hill hadn’t played a part in robbing me of my oxygen, but I was stunned by the sight. Even more fantastic than I had anticipated, which had been quite a lot. Wow!! I stopped briefly at Gibson Steps on the side of the bluff to the beach near the Apostles, for the view and a few pictures, but didn’t descend the steps until later. Hurried on the remaining km to meet the others at the visitor centre at the Apostles ... it was awash in tourists, particularly Chinese. There’s about a 1 km walkway built along the cliff’s edge, that gives great views of the Apostles. And taking another path about 1 km away there are the Gibson Steps, all 89 of them, which take you down to the beach so you can see some of the Apostles up close. We soaked it all in ... and were there at a great time with the sun high but to our backs, highlighting the mighty rocks.





Comments
Post a Comment