March 26 - A Birthday at Manly

A BIRTHDAY AT MANLY

Today was a special day because it is Di's birthday ... and a milestone one at that (though I will tastefully avoid mentioning which).  What better place to celebrate a birthday than Manly Beach?!  

My day began with a touch of the sublime along with the mundane.  Manly is truly a magnificent beach ... clear, green water, nice surf, lots of blondish sand, lifeguards from a number of Surf Patrol Lifesaving Clubs (think I counted 4 in the approx. 1 km length of the beach), a wide brick promenade alongside the beach, green trees along the promenade, picnic tables, showers for surfers and swimmers, a nice playground for kids, and public restrooms.  I began my day with a walk to the north end of the beach, which is actually at a neighborhood called Queenscliff, then back to our hotel, the Sebel Manly Beach.  Very serene way to start the day.

Manly Beach and promenade from our balcony
Queenscliff Surf Lifesaving Patrol

Surfers starting early










Then since we have a kitchenette in the room, I walked to the nearby Cole's (an Aussie version of Kroger or Publix) and bought some breakfast and lunch things.  After lunch on our 2nd floor balcony, which overlooked the beach, a little reading and a nap were in order since yesterday had been a pretty rigorous travel day.  Susan and I wandered through the main drag and went to a little park I had found on the map. It was adjacent to the Manly Oval (for cricket), Manly Bowling Club (the outdoor lawn variety), and tennis courts; and like most things in Australia, on the side of a hill.  Beautiful trees and flowers, and we were visited by a flock of a half dozen or so sulfur-crested cockatoos.

Manly Oval

"Bowling alley"
Cockatoos
Afterwards, still needing a few gifts to take home, I struck out on my own for some souvenir shopping at the myriad tourist trap souvenir shops along The Corso, a broad, attractive pedestrian walkway on the east end of one of the main streets connecting the Manly Wharf (where the ferries land) to Manly Beach.  It was a time-consuming and fairly fruitless endeavour.  [Yes, you may have noticed that I've taken to using the our to end words that for Americans typically end in or, e.g., harbour, honour, etc.  Not skiting -- Aussie for showing one's arse -- just a ploy for authenticity of setting.]
The Corso
The day ended with our traditional drinks and cheese (and other snacks) on Keith & Di's balcony, which also overlooked Manly Beach ... theirs from the 3rd floor.  Then we had what Di had chosen for her birthday celebration for dinner ... steamed prawns (shrimp to us), salad, and bread.  The drink, chosen by the birthday girl, was champagne.  Nice, simple, and beachy.  

"They say it's your birthday ...."
"... happy birthday to you!"








For the record, I 💓 Manly Beach.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 18 - First Full Day in Melbourne

March 14 - Happy Pi Day

March 25 - Planes and Boats and Trains ... and Rental Cars